Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Peeling Pears

That is the biggest part of canning! I had read on the internet that you could drop pears into boiling water and then cold water and the skin would come right off.  So, it was worth a try.

Results:
There were two ways of doing it and I have tried both.  Maybe I didn't do it correctly?   Also, my pears are on the green side.  I almost got it to work on one that was smaller and more ripe.

1st way:  drop into boiling water for about 15 seconds--remove to warm water and then twist the pear and the skin will come off in pieces...not for me.

2nd way: drop into boiling water for about 15 seconds--remove to cold water and get the skin off somehow.

BUT, I did find this out.  Drop into boiling water for about 15 seconds, then into cold water.  Using the potato peeler just peel as usual.  It is much easier to peel than one that has had a hot bath.  Sooooo, I guess that is what I'll be doing.  But, small batches, small batches.

Until next time,


1 comment:

  1. Have you thought of using an apple peeler? they peel and cut and the same time, doesn't it??? I really don't know.

    ReplyDelete