Friday, May 31, 2013

Plain Cake

This is an old recipe, so that makes it simple and easy to make.  It comes from my mother-in-law and I wonder if it came from her mother..

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

11x8 inch pan or 2 round cake pans--greased with shortening and parchment paper on bottom of pan
(I used the 11x8 inch last night and it was FULL. I was holding my breath hoping it didn't spill over the sides when it was cooking.)

Me Maw's Plain Cake
Cream:
3/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar

Add 3 eggs one at a time...mix well.

Sift flour and then measure out 2 1/4 cups add 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and sift again.

3/4 cup milk with 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla added

Add flour alternately with milk to creamed sugar and shortening.

Bake in moderate oven --350 degrees F for about 45 minutes..check with a tooth pick the last 5 minutes.

We use it for strawberry shortcake.


What's left of a good thing.  This is not your light and fluffy cake.  It is more along the lines of a pound cake. It is sure to soak up the strawberry sugar juice.  I think blueberries would be good to..



No comments:

Post a Comment