Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Zesty Shrimp and Avocado Cocktail or Campechana

I made this last night for a light supper.  While in Houston, we had the Campechana for an appetizer, but by the time we had shared one, it felt like a full meal.  But I really like it.  Houston is a long way to go for one little (big) Campechana.  So to Pinterest I go....yes there are many recipes for Shrimp cocktails or Campechana.  Or you might look for Mexican Shrimp Cocktail.  After looking at many recipes, I got the idea of what to put in it.  Did I have everything mentioned? No way.  I did not have fresh shrimp, fresh avocados,  fresh crab, or fresh jalapenos...so what to use?  I had canned shrimp, canned crab, (first time ever to buy that) and packaged avocados.  Well, this should be good.   Ugh what am I thinking, but I wanted some of that Campechana.

I did have fresh celery....I finely chopped two stalks.
I did have a fresh Serrano pepper.... I finely chopped 1/2 into it, but DID not take out enough seeds.
I did have a fresh tomato....I finely chopped one tomato into it.
I did  have fresh cilantro ...I finely hacked it, no stems. Not to much, it has a strong flavor.
I did have fresh garlic.... I finely minced one clove into it.
I did have fresh onion....I finely chopped about 3 Tablespoons into it.
I did have a jar of tomato and oyster juice.  Use about 1/2 cup....more for juicier.
So into the bowl goes the drained shrimp, drained crab, (that is funny stuff) and  about a Tablespoon of ketchup and some of the juice.  I added a splash of bottled lime juice.
 Into the fridge to wait until  supper.  I served it with crackers and chips.

Now for the proportions...If you like onions, use more...if you like garlic, use more...if you like it really hot, use more pepper...and on and on.  I thought I had a nice blend with the proportions I used.  It was a little hot, so I will take out more seeds next time, but it was gone, gone...It took care of my cravings...yum, delicious. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked it and could make it up the canyon! Don't know if it's for me, but hey! I am glad you got your craving fixed!

    ReplyDelete