Tuesday, September 23, 2014

And The Winner Is----Salvia

After a Texas hot summer, contending with the deer, and not a lot of rain, the winner in my flower garden and around the house are the Salvias.  There are two native salvias that I have here in the canyon, red and blue, and the deer do not eat them.  Also, the dry hot summer does not make them turn up their toes.

Early this spring I ordered some seeds and while I was late planting them, once I did, they came up really well and began to bloom in really short time. Already they have seeded and some new plants are coming up.  I will be interested to see if they will have time to bloom this fall. The ones I ordered, are pink, red, and blue.  I think there are also some white, but I have not found any seeds yet. This next spring I plan to use my flower pots for some salvias.  It will be interesting to see how they do they live in pots.

I have the red one protected...just in case the deer want a nibble. The blue ones have been uncovered all summer.  I do deadhead the spikes and it starts to bloom again.  The search is on for salvia seeds.

1 comment:

  1. How pretty!!! I really hope you find some great seeds. Maybe I will look for some too...AC

    ReplyDelete