Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Fideo Vermicelli

It is an enriched macaroni - the original fideo since 1910-- that is what is on the yellow box.  I have seen this yellow box since I was a  little girl, but had never tried it.  My mom always used a different pasta.  I guess it it never to late to try something different.
Friends were visiting with us and said they had cooked up a big pot of vermicelli...of course I ask for the recipe.  The recipe on the box is pretty much what they did, except, yes there is always an except, they added 18 little chiltepin ( a hot Texas native pepper).http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Texas/Pepper_Chiltepin.html  I just add one can of mild green chilies and tomatoes..hot enough for me. Anyway you fix it like the box recipe or add anything you want, just as long as it sounds good...just  add --I think it is delicious.  So now, I am on the search for vermicelli recipes...Hmmmm something for the next potluck.

My Version of Vermicelli

1/2 package slightly browned in 1 or 2 tablespoons oil
1/2 chopped onion that has been precooked or not
1 small can green chilies and tomatoes ( mild or hot)
Cooked diced chicken (one breast)
1 can water

Lightly brown the vermicelli, stirring and watching continually.  Add precooked chopped onions, green chilies and tomatoes, chicken and 1 can of water.  Cover and Simmer for 15 minutes.  Ready to eat. If it has to much liquid, remove the lid and let it cook down for 5 minutes or more until it is just right. 

I use the small pieces of vermicelli...I have not yet tried the long version. 

No comments:

Post a Comment